I love Kale, I have loved kale from before its celebrity status as a super food. Since it grows in abundance in my backyard through the summer well into winter, my family gets their frequent dose of this delicious vegetable in soups,curries, vegetables and breads.This is the first time I have made a salad with it and my family loved it, you tell me how you liked it.
A Beta – carotene and antioxidant rich simple salad combining 2 superfoods kale and sweet potato.The taste of the vegetables is enhanced with simple lemon juice and oil dressing. Sweet potatoes are nutritional powerhouse of nutrients like vitamin B6, manganese , vitamin c ,magnesium and also very high in fiber. Kale is another super food having high antioxidant ratio and anti inflammatory properties. Both vegetables combined not only facilitate heart health but may prevent many degenerative diseases.
- 3-4 cups washed and chopped kale leaves ( 2” pieces )
- 1 big sweet potato peeled and sliced into approx. 1/2 ” thick slices
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp. mixed sunflower seeds and dry cranberries or sliced almonds
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- herbal salt to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Toss sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp. of oil and spread on a baking tray.
- Roast the sweet potatoes on broil setting for 20 – 25 minutes turning occasionally so all the sides get well roasted.
- Steam the kale in a steamer for 10 -12 minutes so it is glistening dark green and tender.
- Marinate the sliced onions in juice of half a lemon for 20 -30 minute (it will change color and lose its pungent taste).
- Line a tray with steamed kale leaves , top it up with roasted sweet potatoes and marinated onions.
- Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and squeeze the lemon over the same.
- Sprinkle the salt and cayenne pepper according to taste.
- Garnish with the nuts and seeds and serve.
P.S. Do not premix the lemon juice, oil and salt as the dressing, drizzling and sprinkling the ingredients separately brings out the flavours very naturally. After asssembling the salad I did not even toss it and it tasted great.