My son had been asking for corn toast. Though I have never made it before I had a vague idea of the recipe which I improvised off course by adding lots of my favourite fresh green herbs. And of course all those herbs complement and balance out not just the sweetness of sweet corn but also add lot of good fiber which promotes slow sustained release of insulin. And sure with the creamy white sauce and lots of partially skimmed Mozarella cheese, this recipe is my sons favourite now!!!!
11/2 cup frozen corn kernels<
/1/3 cup washed and finely chopped curly parsley
1/3 cup finely chopped basil or Tarragon
1/3 cup washed and finely chopped Aragula ( optional)
Green tops of 4 -5 green onions finely chopped
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp. of white flour or whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of milk
1 cup part skim mozzarella or cheddar shredded cheese
1 jalepeno or green chilli finely chopped (optional)
Crushed chilli peppers salt and black pepper to taste
8- 10 slices of whole wheat or multigrain bread
1. In a heavy pot on very low heat melt butter and flour.
2.Let cook for few minutes and add milk slowly while stirring constantly so that the mix is not lumpy
3. Continue to cook this mix on low heat till you have a smooth, non lumpy creamy sauce (approximately 10-12 minutes)
4. In another pot (on medium heat) cook the corn in 2tbsp. of water till it is soft (5- 7 minutes) and add aragula and cook for a few minutes
5.Now add grated garlic and green onions and cook for a few more minutes.
6.Turn off the stove and add all the herbs salt, crushed red chilli pepper, and the jalepeno (please adjust and omit these according to your tolerance level )
7. Mix the above mixture with the white sauce well.
8. Spread the mixture on each slice of bread evenly and cover it well with cheese.
9. Toast the above on broil in a preheated oven or a toaster oven till the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!!!
P.S. Please feel free to substitute the herbs with the ones you like but do not omit them…A liberal skillful use of herbs enhances the taste to a whole new level.