This dish uses Sorrel, a leafy green vegetable with spinach like leaves, has a sour, lemony taste. It is a perennial plant and these leaves are the first ones to sprout at first sign of spring. A delicious low calorie leafy green high in vitamin C, A and iron. It adds lot of flavour to the soups, stews, and Indian curries. Only downside with this is it has oxalic acid which prevents absorption of Calcium therefore people with history of kidney stones, gout and arthritis are advised to avoid it. Frequently used in French and Russian cuisine, it is now available in farmers markets, or Russian grocery stores. I grow my own, it grows like a weed so needs to be monitored regularly
A simple easy no fuss flavourful minimalist side dish
- 1 small head of cauliflower washed and separated into 2″ florets ( 2 – 3 cups of florets )
- 1 cup of washed and chopped sorrel
- 3 – 4 green onions finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
- few sprigs of coriander chopped for garnish
- Toss the cauliflower florets with 1 tbsp. oil , mix and spread them on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes in a toaster oven turning them few times or broil them for 20 – 25 minutes till they are beautiful , glistening and browned at the edges.
- In a pan sauté the green onions in the remaining oil.
- After few minutes add chopped sorrel , in a few minutes the sorrel will be muddy green and soft.
- Now add the baked cauliflower , salt and black pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Serve it as a side dish or as filling for wraps.