I love cooking in spring and summer as there is so much nature’s bounty available, all I have to do is step out in my vegetable garden and I have lovely tangy Sorrel, curly Kale, fresh garlic scapes, fragrant mint, and nutritious Collard greens for now. Later it would be tomatoes, eggplant etc. So Here is my simple soup recipe using some of that bounty. A fresh tasting very healthy soup, one pot meal can be put together in no time at all.
- 1 cup split yellow lentils ( mung beans lentils ) or red lentils or a mixture of two rinsed thoroughly and soaked for few hours in 2 cups of water
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- Fresh garlic greens finely chopped
- 1 ” piece of ginger grated
- 2 leaves of collard greens or kale or Swiss chard washed and finely chopped
- 3-4 leaves of sorrel washed and finely chopped ( optional )
- 1 green house tomato chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2tbsp. of ghee or extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes or Tabasco ( optional )
- Lemon or lime juice to taste
- Cook the lentils on medium heat for 20 – 25 minutes till they are softened but you can see the shape.
- Add all the vegetables ( except sorrel leaves ) and cook for another 20-25 minutes till the vegetables are soft.
- Add salt and pepper and ghee before serving.
- Serve with a crusty bread.