- 1 cup basmati rice rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 cup split yellow mung bean lentils rinsed thoroughly ( soaked for 1 hour if you have the time )
- 1 cup finely washed and chopped fenugreek leaves ,or 1 cube frozen leaves or 2-3 tbsp. dried leaves
- 1 cup string beans washed and finely chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fennel bulb including the stems
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 onion sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato puree ( from the glass bottle and should be preservative free )
- 1 1/2 tbsp. ghee or cooking oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp.readymade Biryani or Pulao masala
- 2 3/4 cup water
- salt to taste
- In a heavy pot heat ghee or oil and salt and and saute’ onions ,fenugreek leaves. carrots, beans,, peas and fennel
- Add the biryani masala to the mixture and cook for few minutes.
- Add the lentils, rice and salt and cook .
- After 10 minutes add the tomato puree ,stir and let cook on on medium heat for another 10-12 minutes till all of the water is absorbed and rice and lentil grains look enlarged and soft .
- At this point turn the heat off and keep the pot covered for another 15 minutes so that each grain of rice is fluffed up and separate.
- Serve hot with yoghurt dip or plain yoghurt ..