Lot of people get excited about many different things , but I get excited seeing fresh produce , different fruits and vegetables and specially leafy greens. And then even if I am pressed for time I like to use those and let my imagination fly in creating new dishes with new so far unknown ingredients . Fear of the unknown even in the kitchen prevents people from trying new things so to those I say take God’s name and put your love in it and everything tastes wonderful and delicious.
So here I am with a new recipe using Rhubarb which i have never used in a soup before ( generally used to make pies) fresh yellow zucchini, some beet greens, fresh tender corn and many other vegetables.
Hope you will enjoy making it as much as i enjoyed creating it.
- 1 yellow zucchini finely chopped ( I did it in the vegetable mandolin slicer )
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- fresh corn niblets removed from 1 fresh corn on the cob
- 1 stalk of rhubarb cleaned peeled a little and finely chopped ( to remove the fibrous skin )
- 1 bunch of fresh green onions ( with the tops attached ) finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dandelion leaves finely chopped ( red or green )
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 cup split yellow lentils rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red cayenne pepper
- 3 cups of water
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk or 3 tbsp. dry pure coconut milk powder
- 3- 4 tbsp. of fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 2 fresh medium sized tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp. spiced extra virgin olive oil or plain olive oil for drizzling on top
- salt to taste
- Cook the lentils in 2 cups of water for 15 – 20 minutes ( remove the froth few times ) till half cooked and tender.
- Now add zucchini, dandelion leaves ( the bitterness would be balanced out with the sweetness of coconut milk ) cook 5-10 minutes.
- Add pepper, fresh onions ( without the greens ) and garlic.
- After 5-7 minutes add rhubarb and leafy greens of the onion.
- After 5 minutes add the coconut milk powder mixed thoroughly with 1/2 cup of water.
- Add salt ,black pepper, cayenne and let it come to a boil and remaining water .
- Add chopped basil and drizzle some spiced olive oil and serve.
- Enjoy a refreshing light soup rich with varied flavours.