More flavorful than white mushrooms ,shiitake mushrooms are meaty and woodsy in flavour and have been attributed to have many medicinal properties.With impressive nutritional profile high protein content, good source of calcium, potassium and B vitamins and many immune boosting properties they have been said to improve cholesterol levels and improve overall cardiovascular health
An immunostimulant Lentinan derived from these mushrooms has been successfully used to treat many degenerative diseases like Cancer, AIDS etc.
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. teff flour
- 1/2 cup milk or any other alternative milk ( free of carageenan )
- 2-3 tbsp. butter or ghee or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup beet greens washed and finely chopped ( stems included )
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 3-4 tbsp. finely chopped basil or dry italion seasonings or 2 tbsp. pesto
- 1 jalepeno pepper finely chopped (optional)
- salt, black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. crushed chilli pepper flakes
- 8-10 slices of gluten free bread
- grated cheese ( could be vegan ) optional
- Clean and wash the mushrooms well making sure all the dirt is removed.Not many chefs approve of this practice as they feel mushrooms soak up lot up of moisture and become soggy therefore just brush the dirt off. After having a “gritty” wild mushroom soup in a fancy restaurant in Sedona (Arizona) I would definitely recommend washing.There are ways to cook so that mushrooms are not soggy. You may even pat them dry on paper towels to soak up the extra moisture.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of ghee in a cast iron skillet and saute’ the mushrooms and garlic till they are sizzling ,aromatic and golden ( 5- 7 minutes ). I find in a cast iron skillet mushrooms are not soggy and hold their shape.
- Prepare the sauce follwing the recipe in the previous post (Brownish Red white sauce).
- In a separate pan or same skillet saute the beet greens for 5- 7 minutes till cooked tender crisp,add green onions towards the end.
- Once the sauce is ready add the mushroom mixture and beet greens and jalepeno , salt and black pepper.
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees fahrenheit and spread 1 tbsp. of the mushroom mixture and grated cheese on each slice of bread and bake in the preheated oven for few minutes till crisp and golden.
Serve with a green salad and ENJOY!!!!!