The soup that I bring to you today is beautiful in its simplicity. It is easy to make does not require much preparation .There are not too many ingredients to gather and the result is beautiful to look at and delicious to eat, not to mention extremely good for you. It is a high protein soup full of antioxidants
1/2 cup yellow mung bean lentils
1/2 cup red lentils
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
3/4 cup golden chard finely chopped
2- 3 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp. ghee or extra virgin olive oil
a pinch asafoetida (optional)
salt to taste
1 tomato chopped into 1” pieces
3 cups of water
few slices of 1 lemon or lime
1. Rinse the lentils thoroughly few times scrubbing it between your fingers.
2. In a heavy bottom pan on medium heat let the lentils cook in 3 cups of water for 20 – 25 minutes. Also add asafoetida powder, turmeric powder and garlic.
3. Now add the chopped chard (it is very tender so does not take long to cook).
4. After 10 minutes add tomato, salt and black pepper. By this time the lentils should be softened and blended together.
5. Let it all simmer for another 10 -15 minutes, add cilantro, lime juice and ghee or oil and serve.
6. Enjoy!!!. Serve with crusty bread or rice and serve.