I bring to you today an easy, colourful, delicious, nutritious dish loved by young and old alike. It is full of antioxidants and polyphenols and is a high protein and high fiber dish and is lipsmacking !! what more could one ask for !! Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.
Ingredients1 cup boiled black beans (or canned ) 1 cup frozen organic grain sweet corn niblets 1 sweet red pepper finely chopped 1 leek washed with only green parts finely chopped 4 – 5 tender leaves of kale finely chopped or spinach or any other green leafy vegetables 1 jalepeno finely chopped 1 1/2 cup partly skimmed mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese 1 tbsp. olive oil or clarified butter 8 – 10 whole grain tortillas and tomato tortillas or gluten free Teff tortillas 1tsp. cumin powder 1 clove of garlic finely chopped 2 – 3 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat, add leeks and jalepenos and saute’ for a few minutes.
2. Add red pepper, corn, garlic and greens and cook for 8 – 10 minutes.
3. Add the boiled beans, cumin powder and cook for another 5 – 7 minutes.
4. Add cilantro and salt and mix the mixture well. The filling for the tortillas is now ready.
5. Heat a cast iron skillet or a Panini press to make quesidillas.
6. Warm and slightly toast 2 tortillas on one side only.
7. Take one tortilla and spread 3/4 tbsp. of cheese on the cooked side, then spread 2 tbsp.of vegetable filling and spread little more cheese and cover with another tortilla with uncooked side on the outside and grill it in the Panini press. You may brush some butter or ghee on the tortilla.
8. As the cheese melts the tortillas will stick together and they will be golden brown and have grill marks if done in the Panini press, they roast very well even on the cast iron skillet or a non stick one.
9. Cut the tortillas into 4 quarters and serve with salsa or guacomole.
10. Enjoy!! beautiful, nutritious, colourful and delicious complete meal quesadillas any time of the day.