Everybody seems to be eating and cooking quinoa these days. The staple of Incas has become a very popular superfood for rest of the world.Too much of a good thing may be ?
The weather in our part of the world is icy again so I was not looking forward to eating another cold ( tried many variations of quinoa salad!!! ) quinoa salad. Therefore I came up with this simple recipe of hot quinoa pilaf seasoned with mustard seeds,curry leaves and combined with another popular superfood black kale and mushrooms. Just the guilt free food to warm up your insides on a cold icy winter afternoon.
2 cups hot cooked quinoa ( follow package directions or earlier quinoa recipes)
2 cups finely chopped black kale with stems
1 cup sliced white button mushrooms or shitalke or portabello mushrooms
1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
8- 10 fresh or dried curry leaves
3 – 4 whole dried red chillies
1 clove garlic sliced
1 tbsp. ghee or grapeseed oil
juice of lemon or lime (optional )
1. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom skillet and add mustard seeds and cover with a lid.
2. Let the mustard seeds all pop and become whitish in color( make sure the heat is not too much and the seeds do not get charred )
3. Add curry leaves and whole red chillies and stir for a minute, now add kale and sliced mushrooms and garlic.
4. Sautè for a few minutes till the mushrooms are glistening and kale is a fragrant bright but dark green colour.
5. Add salt and mix the kale mixture into the cooked quinoa and serve hot.
6. You may add some lemon or lime juice before serving.
7. Enjoy !!!!