Sometimes we are in the mood for something simple not fancy ( but healthy) which does not take hours to cook but still tastes good and is comfort food.
This TAWA ( cast iron skillet) SAbzi is one such vegetable dish. I personally love using cast iron cookware, it is a great conducter of heat ( makes for faster cooking time). It is also reactive to many foods but in a positive manner, it leaches iron into foods making them iron rich. Lot of restaurants serve blackened fish which has been cooked in cast iron pan. Acidic foods like apple butter soak in more iron when cooked in the cast iron cookware. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I did
1 japanese eggplant cut into small pieces
1 cup baby spinach finely chopped
1 tomato finely chopped
1/2 tsp. five spice blend ( whole fennel, mustard, fenugreek, cumin and nigella seeds )
1 tsp. ghee or extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. red chilli powder
salt to taste
1. Heat a cast ron griddle add ghee and the five spice blend.
2. After 30 seconds once the spice blend changes colour and sizzles add the eggplant, mix and cover on medium high heat for few minutes.
3. Move the eggplant gradually on to one side simultaneously adding chopped tomatoes so form a bed of tomatoes ( eggplant lying on top ), layer spinach on top of the eggplant. Sprinkle chilli powder also and cover and cook for another few minutes.
4. You will continue to hear the sizzle.
5.After few minutes the tomatoes in the bottom would soften and spinach and eggplant cooked.
6. Mix well add salt and serve on a bed of brown rice,quinoa or with tortillas.
7.Enjoy a simple quick dish delicious and beautiful in its simplicity.